Sunday, November 22, 2015

Dolls in progress

Here are pictures of two boy Izannah Walker style cloth dolls that I have been working on for awhile.  As you see they are not finished and the hair in particular is just a base coat to see how they would look with this hair style. I saw a picture of  a antique boy Izannah doll that had a widow's peak, and it was just so cute that I decided to give my dolls the same hair style. I like it and of course when I get the hair really painted and aged it would look much more natural. Naming the dolls has two purposes, one to identify them to people, and another to satisfy me to have them named atleast while I have them. Ollie is named after a boy in a movie who was extra sweet, and Jeeb is named after a character in a movie that I liked who was favored by Michael the Ark angel because he was a rare person with a pure heart. The dolls will naturally change with each stage they go through, but they are far enough along to see basically what they will look like. It does surprise me that in the end as I think I am finished painting, I might make one small change in the eyes, the mouth ( usually the mouth ) and the whole character of the doll changes. I need a boy doll for a nice lady, so I have made two in the hopes she will like one of them and I can finish it out for her. There is a picture here also of a old painted head rag doll that I have been working on, trying to get a old look, or any face that is appealing, but a old looking doll would be better. I really think the painted head rag dolls give me the most trouble, because the flat faced dolls are hard to make a good face that draws you to her ( most are to simple, or to over done, or if it is a black doll, super hard to get a face at all with no protruding features to help out. Ollie would not look directly at the camera, but he appeals to me the most, and Jeeb is sweeter and more even and perfect. Who knows in the end how they will look, but I am hopeful, they will be good.


5 comments:

  1. I think one of the things that is so appealing about your dolls is that they are all "sweet and of a pure heart," a reflection of their creator, no doubt! I love the boys and their names...Jeeb and Ollie. Now, don't overlook Jeeb because he is a real cutie. I am really looking forward to seeing how you dress these sweet little guys. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely dolls, dear Martha! Their are so fine and Izannah as it can be. A very fine work.
    Wish you a lovely wintertime and good times while making dolls :)
    Viele Grüße
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Mary said! I love boy dolls...there aren't enough of them in the world, to my way of thinking. Love the painted rag doll too--she does look antique. Your rag dolls always do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you ladies for your sweet comments. I will re post the boys when I get them dressed. wish me luck in getting it right. thanks, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the little boy dollies, they are adorable & a widow's peak is just perfect for them. They will be so sweet all dressed up. I like the rag dolly too but, I always love your rag dolls!

    ReplyDelete