Thursday, June 26, 2014

Doll Problems

Making dolls entails a lot no matter what kind of doll you are making, and some are much more trouble than others. Here are three dolls I am trying to finish, but each of these dolls has had a serious problem of one kind or another. I don't think experience saves you from making these mistakes, because I certainly know what to do, so why am I always plagued by crazy things like the right side of the heads always are fuller than the left side, or the shoulders are almost always uneven, or the right eye is always fuller and turned slightly outward than the left one. Sometimes these things don't present a big problem, but I believe it is the way my eyes are focusing on the unpainted white heads. It is hard to see, if you have one side a little fuller than the other, however,  even on a cloth molded head, you can make slight corrections. The third doll here is the worst problem. You would think I could tell she had almost no chin. HaHa.  Poor thing, this will cause me to let her dry, sand her down to within a inch of her life, and add a chin, then put on a new stockinet, and begin the painting over again. All this occurs even if you have a whole cloth head right in front of you. They do come out wonky, but making a few corrections should suffice. There is only one solution to all this, and that is to just be patient and go back and fix things, but this cost a lot of time. The trials of the doll maker are many, and not being able to see mistakes closer up front doesn't help. As for these three, I am whipping them into shape, and I believe getting them close to what I need. On Izannah's molded heads, I can see why she could not fix the problems, and if they are not to severe, I try not to fix them either, but a doll has to have a chin. thanks for letting me vent my doll troubles and here is hoping you are sailing along in your


hobbies what ever they may be and having fun. I still will have fun putting a chin on my poor girl.

5 comments:

  1. More pretty Martha dolls! Sweet sisters to my darling Martha (Sissy)! I could very well sign my name to this post. "...so why am I always plagued by crazy things like the right side of the heads are always fuller than the left side." I really have to work hard on that, too! And, so does the girl who cuts my hair. The right side is always a bit longer and fuller than the left. I wonder if left-handed people make dolls with a fuller left side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the girl with a short chin! Maybe it's just me, but I think it makes her look like a baby/toddler instead of a child. But I know if something bugs you, it'll be hard to "like" the doll and finish her. These sweeties don't have "serious" problems, even with differences from one side to another...but I might be biased, since I love Martha Babies. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the dollies look very sweet.........I'm with Jan, I love all your babes! I think dolls are like people, no two are alike and we come in different shapes and sizes. I have one boob bigger than the other one!!!! Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha I think all the little quirky things make your dolls so sweet ...each one has an individual personality.....I enjoy seeing what you are making because the dolls reflect being made with love....you can't get such a feeling from trying to get everything "prefect" or you'll miss out on the fun....Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha honey - remember that PEOPLE are not symmetrical ...99% of people have crooked faces ...One side of the mouth is higher than the other...One eye is more dominant...etc. So think of them as being normal and natural, like God made them ! :>) It gives their faces character !! Your work is perfection !

    ReplyDelete